This heathland course is situated above the town of Millport. The club was formed in 1888 and at the time was known as The Cumbrae Golf Club. This was later changed to avoid confusion with Comrie Golf Club in Perthshire. In 1913 the well-known golf course architect, James Braid, was invited to lay out the course "to suit the modern game".


The course measures just short of 6000yards, has a par of 68 with SSS of 69 and demands a full repertoire of shot making - there are several blind shots to test golfers skills.  Out of bounds comes into play in the first 7 holes, and at the 2nd out of bounds faces you right and left.

The 162-yd 4th hole is surrounded by 6 bunkers, therefore anything coming up short will most probably be punished. Millport has no par 5's, however a few of the long par 4's will test even the lowest handicap player. The 10th hole is especially testing. The green is perched on a plateau and only the perfect 2nd shot will hold it.


4th Hole >

The 159-yard par three 12th, appropriately named the "Doo's Nest", playing from an elevated tee, drops sharply on two sides at the greenside, and provides a challenge when faced with a wind whipping up from the Firth. The 418-yard 15th requires the golfer to consider the second shot to the green before a decision is made which club is required from the tee. The undulations of the fairway in front of the green can "divert" the ball into the greenside bunkers.

The 13th and 17th holes both measure 449 about yards and like most of the courses around this area the weather plays an important part in every round of golf. Although not a links course, if the wind is blowing from the south, Millport takes on the characteristics of a links course.



17th green from the 2nd Tee >

The Course